Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New York City

A week back in NC and now back on the road. NYC this week. It didnt start off so well. I was supposed to leave Monday at 2PM on a direct flight and arrive at 3 something. I found a parking space at the airport, lugged in all my bags and waited in line only to find that my flight was canceled due to rain in New York. Lesson learned. Always check your flight status before you leave your house. Luckily the airport isnt far from home, so I went back and got to hang out with the family for a few more hours. That was just a tease though. "I'm hooooome". Not for long. Back to the airport to catch my 7PM flight. All is well. Get on the plane and fly to Reagan International for a layover before getting into NY. That's cool, I get to eat. The plane boards a few minutes late, but I can deal with that, until I get to my seat. I am stuck next to the Teenage Obnoxioso Mecamarican Brother and Sister Dream Team speaking Spanglish, laughing at everyfuckingthing, spilling food and drink, laughing at everyone, and really really really acting too close to to be siblings. I wish I had a knack for explaining things in detail, because that would really come in handy right about now. I thought they were a couple until they ran off the plane to meet their parents. It was really creepy. Anyway, we sit on the damn tarmac for 3o minutes until we finally take off. It was hell, listening to the Dream Team without the use of my iPod. You cant use any electronic devices when taxiing, but how bout when we are just fuckign sitting there waiting to take off with no end in sight. Ah, that's what US Airways radio (or whatever it's called) is for. I found a headphone jack in the armrest, and plugged in. 5 channels. A few Spanish, American standards (whatever that is), and some other crap. I find Blue Man Group. Blue Man Group saves the day. I cant believe it either. I thought they were a visual thing, but apparently people listen to their music too. I did, and I fell asleep. Maybe that's what i'ts for. If so, it worked.

We landed after 10 and I took the bus to get my rental. A Dodge Nitro this week. I think it's supposed to be like a Jeep. Things are going smoothly, the new GPS works, until I see a sign reading "Last exit before toll". Shit, this is not my exit and I knew I should have hit the ATM at the airport. The toll booth does not take crdit cards, but they do issue tickets. I had to pull over to the "help, i am a loser" area and wait for a policeman to issue me a ticket. Not really a ticket, but more of a pay us the $5 toll fee plus a $2 fee for making us do work. Since I am one of those that believes in karma, I will pay, but what if I didnt? I was in a rental.

Got in my room at midnight and watched the US flub through mens gymnastics. They seemed more than happy with the Bronze. They were a bit too many "yeah baby" and "thats how we roll" than I expected for a bunch of white kids in tights, but then again, what do I know. I was embarrassed for them. Anyway, to this morning. Hopped in the Jeep thing and turned on the radio. Satellite radio. Flipping around, I hear a song that sounds familiar. Wasnt sure what it was at first, or maybe I did and just wasnt expecting to hear it. The damn Bleeding Hearts on the Underground Garage. Nice. That was a cool way to start the morning. I wont bore you with the rest of my day, like the $8 toll to get over the GW bridge, or the $32 parking fee, or how the machine I am installing arrived with a major broken part, or that it took me hours to figure out how to find a part number for it and then figure out how to order it. Hope the week gets better.

3 comments:

Retracted said...

That's awesome! Go Bleeding Hearts!!!!!

FireInTheSun said...

Perhaps hearing the Bleeding Hearts on the radio is the sign for a good rest-of-the-week...

FireInTheSun said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on this before, I think it's hilarious that you had to rely on the Blue Man Group to get you to sleep. Hey, whatever works, right?