Monday, September 15, 2008

MN

Got into MN really early this morning, nearly 10am. By the time I got my luggage and rental, it was 11. Still had til 3 until I could check into my room, and then off to the work site at 4 to do a pre-site inspection. What I'm trying to say is, I had time to kill. The Mall of America was right around the corner from the airport, and being the largest mall in the US, I had to see it. I have seen it on TV, so I was expecting the theme park inside, but not the aquarium. A mall with sharks. I wanted to go, but I also wanted to hit this record store that Erik told me about, so I walked around the mall for a bit, hit Johnny Rocket's, and off I went in search of Treehouse Records.
Thanks to my new friend, Mio Moov, finding Treehouse was a breeze. I was warned of the rough neighborhoods on the way there. Luckily, I think the usual occupants of the rough areas were elsewhere due to all of the construction. Waiting in traffic for a front end loader seems a little out of place in the middle of the city. Seriously, there was lots of street work going on in that area. So back to Treehouse. It has been a while since I browsed a good record store. Tons of used stuff, and a nice selection. I love the feeling of finding a kick ass record, and then putting it back only to find something better. I did that a few times. I walked out of there with 2 CDs I knew nothing about. I bought them on visuals and text alone. I have done this many times before, and still havent learned my lesson. N.F.U. (if yer gonna click this link, beware of the boobies). popped out at me due to the album cover. It was in the used section, so I was able to open it up and look at the liner notes (or lack of), and photos. A photo of 5 guys with long hair and 70s rock beards, one behind a Hammond. The Hammond, the song lengths (titled in Spanish), the 1978 date and the Hammond led me to think this was some Spanish prog rock. I was correct. I chose well. When I popped it into the CD player of my rental car/truck thing, I heard exactly what I was expecting. No surprises here. I also walked out of there with Stray, another band I knew nothing about. This one was in the "Psych" section of the store, so that alone and the back of the CD stating that Shel Talmy was somehow involved was enough to convince me. Another good excellent choice by me, I must say. I wont get into reviewing them, so read the comments and reviews at the links.
Later in the day, I hit the local skate park, Showcase. It was bible night, so it was only 5 bucks. They offered pizza and "pop" too, but I think Jesus learning was involved with that deal. I just paid the 5 bucks and went in, but not before explaining to the dude behind the counter where NC is located. Wow. Typical new school park. Lots of big box things and slippery ass ramps everywhere. I enjoyed it though, but it was busy as hell due to Jesus night. Jesus, I'm going to bed. I need to get up early.

Dinner. Idaho nachos served with tater tots instead of chips. I was going to eat healthy after my big lunch until I found out about these.


Nickelodeon Universe

Yummy Johnny Rockets.

Worst vehicle I have ever driven. If you see somebody driving one of these because they want to, run them off the road. They deserve it.


...

1 comment:

Retracted said...

nice tots! why didn't I think of that!!!!